Blog has been quiet, as I promised after the release. We're stacking up a fair amount of art for TLS 1.3.0, but it will come out when it's ready. I've been busy on my private channels and there are some new projects out (Four Liars 0.1.0 was released just yesterday!) but I'm not here to talk about those.
Instead, I want to highlight that I've finished a series of short stories in the TLS world. All of them are set after the conclusion of the game and I'm calling them "postludes" because they dwell on various aspects. Some are serious, some are silly, and I'm glad that they've been well-received so far. This is the complete list:
- Robin's Last Day (posted)
- Unexpected Transformations (posted)
- Three Farewells (posted)
- Distributed Orgy (posted)
- Receiving a Sign (forthcoming)
- One More Cup of Tea (forthcoming)
You can read the first four right now if you join Patreon or SubscribeStar, and the last two are coming out shortly! That said, once all the stories are complete they will be coming to different channels eventually, so you don't actually have to join. This is just another way to thank the people who are funding continued artwork for TLS and my overall career.
These are little farewells to various sides of the game, from the characters to the world. I had fun writing them and I'm glad that players have enjoyed them. Thank you for joining me on this journey. ^-^
Someone actually made a fanfiction crossing TLS with The Dresden Files.
ReplyDeleteOnly available on questionable questing's nsfw thread wait unfortunately requires an account
Huh, that's an interesting choice of crossover.
DeleteHi. I don’t know how or where best to write about this, so I’ll just let my thoughts flow here. I hope it won’t be too tedious, but sooner or later I had to do this.
ReplyDeleteA few years ago (it was version 0.68), I stumbled upon a TLS review on YouTube completely by accident, and something about it really grabbed me. Luckily, there was a fan translation into my language for the first chapter and a half; otherwise, I probably wouldn’t have even tried it. And the story hooked me incredibly—I wanted more… but the translation ended. That’s when I began my long journey as a novice game translator.
At first, I just did a rough machine translation and played through the game; then I found and tweaked the scripts for importing and exporting text; then I edited the scripts; and in the end, I even implemented on-the-fly language switching from the main menu and localized the images. It was a long journey—over 3,000 hours—and I don’t regret a single one of them.
I learned so much, fixed so many bugs, and met so many people who helped me... And now it’s over. I’m done. All that’s left is to update the localization as the game is updated and make corrections when someone reports errors.
One way or another, my work will be published, but for all of us who worked on this, there’s something that would be the ultimate milestone. I decided it’s better to ask directly than to dwell on doubts, so:
Can you integrate the Russian TLS translation into the original game?
Let me start by saying that it doesn’t require replacing any original data—just additional scripts and files. It has been tested as thoroughly as possible by a small team.
In fact, there are also a few general graphical changes that, while not everyone will notice them, we believe will improve the visual consistency. But we can discuss that later, if you’d like.
I’ll wrap things up here. Regardless of your decision, I am immensely grateful for the opportunity to experience the story of the world you created. And one way or another, it will remain in my heart for a long time to come. Thank you.
Here is fine. I'm glad to hear that TLS could have an impact on you. ^-^
DeleteI've never added a new language to one of my games before, so while I'm not ruling it out, I'll need more information about how the scripts and files would work.
Regarding the graphical changes, please raise those issues separately. Other players have brought up graphical things in the past and contributed art to the project, but I like to review such changes.
Since the idea itself doesn't seem to be met with resistance, I'll try to flesh it out. I'm not sure what's the best way to show how it all works, because a simple text description isn't the best option. This is because the implementation I chose required some interface changes. I can try creating a Google Doc with screenshots (plus comparisons where it makes sense) and descriptions, and if anything remains unclear, we can go over it separately.
DeleteI can also share the actual files there (on the drive) so you can see everything for yourself.
If you have better suggestions or any objections, I’d like to hear them. And if this approach seems reasonable, I’ll go ahead and put it together.
Then later, if you have any questions or suggestions based on what you’ve seen, I can work through them on my own and bring them back for further discussion.
A Google Doc would work fine for me, and/or I could email you at the address attached to this account? At some point it probably makes sense not to have this conversation in public.
DeleteI agree. In that case, I'll get started on preparing the document. You can email me (I've updated and made my email address visible in my profile). I'll send you the link in my reply once I'm done, and we can continue the discussion via email.
DeleteWow, you translate TLS on russian? Thats huge, никогда бы не подумал что найдется кто-то кто подобное сделает, особенно с учетом того какой сложный язык игра использует.
DeleteSo, tinny question, is there a canon ending? considering you could take or guard the power
ReplyDeleteThe player can choose either ending and I'm not going to declare it non-canon. That said, while some of the postlude stories are ambiguous, more of them are based on the Sovereign ending than the Keeper ending.
Delete